Remote Access VPN Policy
The Lafayette College remote access Virtual Private Network (VPN) service allows computers to connect to the Lafayette data network from off-campus, thereby granting those computers the same access, rights, and privileges as computers attached to the campus network directly.
This policy governs appropriate use of the VPN by all employees and third party workers. VPN service is granted to students only under the sponsorship of Faculty or Staff.
- It is the responsibility of users with VPN privileges to ensure that unauthorized users are not allowed access to Lafayette’s internal networks.
- All computers that access the VPN must adhere to any posture criterion set by the College.
- It is the responsibility of supervisors and department heads to:
- determine which of their office/department’s college business activities can and cannot be performed via the VPN from off-campus;
- determine under what circumstances it is appropriate for an employee to use the VPN to conduct college business, and to request the approval of the Human Resources Office when necessary;
- communicate the above to their employees.
- All costs associated with network access from off-campus are the responsibility of the VPN user.
- Only VPN clients provided by Information Technology Services (ITS) can be used to connect to the VPN.
- It is the responsibility of all VPN users to keep secure all files, keys, and passwords required to connect to the VPN.
- Some services (e.g., Banner INB) are accessible only on College-owned computers.
- Personally-owned computers that fail to meet the software security standards of College-owned computers will not be allowed access to the VPN.
- ITS can only support (or attempt to correct problems with) VPN clients installed on College-owned computers.